Sunday, September 21, 2014

Rosh Hashanah-Rugelach time for a sweet new year.

Rosh Hashanah is Rugelach time.  My daughter Ashley and I have have been baking them together for years.  I originally adapted a few different recipes many years ago, trying to replicate my Grandma Lena's recipe.  I do not remember eating them, however my father had described them for me and they sounded delicious.  I have yet to find a bakery or store bought rugelach that taste as good as these.  They are especially delicious fresh out of the oven, ok maybe let them cool for 5 minutes.  You will probably want to make a few batches as they go quickly and can be addicting.  They are a bit labor intensive but worth it.
 What does this have to do with scrapbooking you ask?  Well at the Somerset scrapbook expo I bought a page kit and I plan to use some of our baking pictures for the pages since they are about home baking.


Caren’s Rugelach
For the dough
2 C flour
2 sticks unsalted butter (or earth balance for pareve/vegan)
8 oz cream cheese (or 1 tub Tofutti cream cheese)
¼ tsp salt
2 TBS sugar
Cream butter and cream cheese until soft, smooth and well blended, the kitchen aid is great for this.  Add salt and sugar, mix again, add flour and mix until it starts to form a ball, Don’t over mix though.  Divide into 3 pieces, shape into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour, overnight is fine.  Only take out the dough you are ready to work with.
For the filling (divided in 3)
¾ C brown sugar
¾ C chopped pecans
Approx. 3 tsp cinnamon (I don’t measure, I just sprinkle)
3 TBLS melted butter
Preheat oven to 350
Roll 1 piece of dough on floured board to about an 8” circle. Brush with melted butter.  Sprinkle ¼ C brown sugar, ¼ C chopped pecans, 1 tsp cinnamon on top.  Cut into 16 wedges, I use a pizza cutter. Cut in quarters, cut each quarter in quarters.
Roll up from the outer edge.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet with tip down.  They well spread so leave space.  I get all 16 on one cookie sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.  I use my convection oven for this.  Cool on rack and repeat
For chocolate filling, Use about  1/8 cup brown sugar and about ¼ C chocolate chips for each batch.

Wishing all who celebrate a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous and Sweet New Year!

Caren

No comments: